Installing motorized blinds in your home adds a level of convenience and luxury you’ve never experienced before. With these smart systems and voice commands, you can control the light and privacy of your windows with a simple touch of a button. Whether you want to soak in the sunlight on hot summer days or keep prying eyes out at night, motorized window coverings are the perfect choice for any home.
If you’re thinking about investing in this type of window covering, read on to learn more. We’re going to discuss how they work, their advantages, the different types available and much more.
What are Motorized Blinds?
Motorized blinds are window coverings that use an electric motor to raise and lower the shades. There are two types of motorized window treatments: cellular shades and roller shades.
Cellular shades are similar to regular shades, but they have an additional inner lining that blocks light.
Roller shades are also similar to regular shades, but they can be wider and come in a wider variety of colors, textures, and patterns. When choosing a motorized shade, keep in mind the size of your window to find the best fit. You’ll also need to decide if you want to install single or dual-side shades. Single-side shades are best for larger windows, while dual-side shades are ideal for smaller windows.
How do Motorized Blinds Work?
Many people wonder how motorized window treatments work since they’re not visible on the outside of the window. It’s actually quite simple, and it works like this:
- Our motorized window coverings use the Somfy-powered motor
- You can integrate them with the myLink app that controls your shades remotely
- Some blinds even have sensors that detect light and weather changes
- Depending on the model, you can program the blinds to open and close at certain times or when certain conditions are met.
- This can be a great feature for those who use a home office or anyone who needs privacy at certain times of the day or night.
Advantages of Motorized Window Treatments
Are you thinking about installing motorized window coverings? There are plenty of reasons why homeowners love this upgrade for their windows. Some of the advantages of these blinds include the following:
– Convenience – If you’re like most people, you spend a lot of time in front of a computer. With motorized blinds, you no longer need to get up from your desk or chair to close or open your shades. You can do it all with a simple button press. This can be especially helpful if you’re on the phone a lot or have young children who need supervision.
– Energy efficiency – Another great feature of these blinds is their ability to help you reduce your energy costs. They’re designed to help keep heat out during the summer and retain heat during the winter. This can greatly reduce the cost of cooling and heating your home.
– Privacy – Since motorized blinds open and close with a remote, they can easily make your home feel more private. This is especially helpful if you have kids or pets. It also keeps your home private from people walking by on the sidewalk.
– Safety – Many people think that blinds aren’t safe, but there are actually safety features built into motorized window treatments. For example, the blinds can stop at any point in their rotation so they don’t crash down on your child’s fingers or head.
– Variety – Motorized blinds come in a wide variety of colors, fabrics, and styles. You can choose a style that fits your home’s decor, or you can choose a neutral style that will work in any home.
What are the Different Types of Motorized Window Treatments?
As we’ve mentioned, there are two types of motorized blinds: Cellular shades and roller shades. Cellular shades feature crisp pleats with an additional inner lining that blocks light. Roller shades are also similar to regular shades, but they can be wider and come in a wider variety of colors, textures and patterns.
Here is some more information when it comes to the difference between cellular shades and roller shades:
– Cellular shades – One of the biggest benefits of cellular shades is their ability to block out light. These shades provide a great level of privacy and light control. Cellular shades are available in a variety of fabrics, including blackout fabrics that block out light.
– Roller shades – Roller shades are very similar to regular drapery or blinds. They’re available in a wider variety of colors, fabrics and patterns than cellular shades. Roller shades are also available in bigger widths, which is an advantage if you have larger windows.
Should You Choose Cellular Shades or Roller Shades?
Cellular shades are made from fabric, and they are often used to block the sun’s heat and UV rays from entering your home. They are great for keeping the heat out of your home during the summer.
Roller shades are similar to cellular shades in that they are fabric window treatments. They have a different look and are often less expensive than cellular shades. They roll up to the top of the window when you raise them.
How to Install Motorized Window Coverings
Installation instructions vary depending on the brand of blinds you choose. Before you start installing your new blinds, make sure you have the dimensions of your windows written down.
You’ll want to take these measurements and note the type of mounting system your blinds use. Once you’ve gathered all the information you need, it’s time to get started. Here are the steps to follow when it’s time to install your new blinds:
– Make sure the area where you’ll be installing your blinds is clean and free of debris. This will help you avoid damaging your brand new blinds.
– Measure the distance between the brackets and mark where you’ll need to drill holes in your window frame.
– Locate the mounting brackets that came with your blinds.
– Drill the holes where you marked.
– Screw the mounting brackets into the holes you just drilled.
– Mount the blind into the bracket
When it’s time to control your blinds, you can do so with a remote control, smartphone app or even voice control. It depends on the model that you choose for your new blinds.
Installing Motorized Window Coverings: Is it Worth it?
Motorized blinds offer many benefits, including convenience, energy efficiency and privacy. The main factors you should consider when choosing a room for motorized blinds are ceiling height and the width of the room.
- These window treatments are perfect for rooms with tall windows
- They are also ideal for windows that are otherwise difficult to reach
- When you are looking to implement smart technology into your home, motorized blinds can be a great asset
- These products are easy and fun to use, all while bringing wow-factor to rooms ranging from your home office to the bedroom
If you’re ready to upgrade your home with motorized window treatments, it’s time to start shopping. You’re sure to find the perfect window covers for your home when you shop with ResCom Designs. We are the window covering and decor specialist in Toronto.